Government Affairs Committee
The Government Affairs Committee oversees and coordinates the Home Builders Association government affairs activities and programs in order to achieve our public policy goals.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Recommends policy on legislative, regulatory and legal issues to the association Board of Directors.
- Monitors and tracks government activities and issues that may impact the industry.
- Conducts research where necessary.
- Cultivates relationships with elected public officials and staff.
- Develops and coordinates local legislative and regulatory goals and strategies.
- Prioritizes issues according to their importance, ability to succeed, and impact on association resources.
- Prepares regular communications regarding local government actions for distribution to members.
- Builds and implements a system to alert members about pending government issues of interest to the industry.
- Proposes solutions to industry problems in cooperation with members, elected and appointed officials, and government staff.
- Forms and operates a political education program designed to urge members to participate in the electoral process.
- Develops programs for association meetings involving government affairs issues, including participation by leading appointed and elected officials.
- Identifies members to testify before boards, commissions and committees regarding industry issues and identifies members interested in serving as an appointed or elected public official.
- Acts as the liaison with state and national government affairs committees and garners support among local members for state and national initiatives.
Joining the Government Affairs Committee
The San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara County Government Affairs Committees are always looking for new members who are interested in serving as the Home Builders Association’s front line in our contact with local government.
Meeting reminders, agendas and agenda material are distributed by e-mail prior to each meeting. Hard copies of emailed package and additional supplemental materials are also provided at each meeting. If you would like to volunteer to serve on either committee, contact:
San Luis Obispo Committee Chairman